Early greeks and the rise of city states-
1. In the 1900s archeologist found evidence of the minoan civilization in the earliest greek.
2. They painted frescos on wet plaster.
3. Coastal settlements were weekend by tidal waves
4. The Mycenaeans conquered the minoans
5. The Mycenaeans adopted the Minoan writing style called Linear B.
Greek Government and Society-
1. Aristocracy- rule by the beast
2. Homer- blind poet who gathered poetry into epics
3. Tyrant-absolute power and brutality
4. Iliad- legend of the trojan war
5. hoplites- infantry with long spears
Sparta and Athens-
1. Helots- people spartans conquered that were forced to work for them.
2. All young boys were tought military training
3. Draco- wrote Athens first code of law around 621 B.C.
4. Metics- Lived outside Athens but were free and paid taxes
5. Ephors- officials that made sure the king stayed within the law
Daily life in Athens
1. Athenian women were citizens but could not vote of own property
2. Their main purpose of marrige was to have children
3. Sappho wrote about the lives of women in ancient Greece
4. Sophos means wise
5. Pedagogue- taught male slaves at the age of 7 manners
The Expantion of Greece
1.Pericles- the greatest greek states men
2. Persian war- distructive conflicts that weekend Greece
3. Xerxes- Persian who defeted the spartans in the battle of thermopylae
4. Persain leader who wanted to punish Athens for helping rebels
5. Delian League- an alliance of greek city states